Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Cruel Mother - A Murder Ballad

Below is the classic murder ballad sung by Cindy Mangsen in traditional style. The lyrics of many different variations of this song are collected in Francis James Child's The English and Scottish Popular Ballads and reprinted on wikisource here (although I can't find the lyrics for this precise rendition).



Here is another version transformed into a dark soundscape by Mick Harris and Martyn Bates. While the traditional sounds like a pretty, creepy song, this one sounds more like... a confession.

2 comments:

  1. How about posting the lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find lyrics for the precise version, but I updated the post with all the variants that were published in a classic collection on this. It's interesting to see how different people played with the song. I will come back to this with more. Thanks for reading, Anonymous. I'm a fan of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails