Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cthulhu fhtagn, bitches




Above is the trailer for Call of Cthulhu by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society, a thoroughly delightful, eerie film. I'll just let the Society make the pitch:

The famed story is brought richly to life in the style of a classic 1920s silent movie, with a haunting original symphonic score. Using the "Mythoscope" process — a mix of modern and vintage techniques, the HPLHS has worked to create the most authentic and faithful screen adaptation of a Lovecraft story yet attempted.

Many of their techniques really remind you of Nosferatu and other silent classics of horror. They seem to have brought a style of film making back from the dead here. Quite a nice way to blow an evening. Check it out here. And if you have Netflix you're going to stream that mother.


The Society has other projects in the making -- like a similarly filmed "talkie" version of The Whisperer in Darkness. I can't wait.

(Special thanks to Joe Monster of From Beyond Depraved for starting me on a whole stop-motion thing this morning. This can only end with my finishing my XXX version of Davie and Goliath.)

1 comment:

  1. Haha glad to hear you've been seeking the joys of animated clay. May your quest be fruitful and full of squishy monsters.

    I've yet to watch all of Cthulhu. I started a while back and never got around to completing it. I'll take your cue and make it the next stop on my Instant Queue!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails